Thursday, January 3, 2008

#4 - The Bucket List

Directed by Rob Reiner
2007 Comedy/Drama
Rated PG-13

1/2 Star

Well, we're less than three full days into 2008, and there is already a frontrunner for worst picture of the year. Sure to garner both its leads their first ever Razzie nominations, this is a shameless, terribly written, and somehow badly acted melodrama about two men who, stricken with cancer, decide to try to complete a "Bucket List," i.e. things they'd like to do before they kick the bucket. Despite the fact that I could rant about this film for quite a long time, i'll stick to my three main complaints:
1. Morgan Freeman has officially become a parody of himself. Remember that Family Guy episode with Morgan Freeman narrating "The Narrator?" That's what most of his voiceover felt like in this movie.
2. I never, ever thought i'd say this, but Jack Nicholson is the weakest link (acting-wise) in the film. I've liked every performance i've seen him give (except for The Departed, but I blame that more on the fact that the character was too over the top for me to take seriously in the first place; I highly doubt any other actor could've done any better).
3. The ending of the film is manipulatively heartbreaking. Despite the fact that the last 20 minutes or so is just a collection of the worst cliches of every melodramatic film you've ever seen, it still brought a tear to my eye (this actually made me hate the film even more).
If there is one recommendation I can give to everyone this January, it's to stay the HELL away from The Bucket List. I don't often truly hate a film; but there's always the exception.

No comments: