Sunday, March 23, 2008

#58 - Run Fatboy Run

Directed by David Schwimmer
2007 Comedy
Rated PG-13

** 1/2

The most important thing I had to keep in my head while watching Run Fatboy Run, the latest comedy to star Simon Pegg, was that this wasn't an Edgar Wright film; I wasn't going to get another Shaun Of The Dead or Hot Fuzz, and Nick Frost wasn't going to be showing up anytime soon. This was directed by an American (David Schwimmer of Friends fame) and scripted by an American (The State and Stella's Michael Ian Black), so I had to prepare myself for American comedy in a British setting; after I did that, I found I was able to (moderately) enjoy this film. Pegg stars as Dennis, a man who left his pregnant fiance (Thandie Newton) at the altar five years ago. After meeting her new boyfriend (the ridiculously built Hank Azaria) and finding out he's running in a marathon in three weeks, Dennis decides to do the same to try to win back his girl. Michael Ian Black's script is not the strong point of this film (if you're looking for Edgar Wright wit, it's not here); neither is Schwimmer's direction (give him time, I think he'll get better). Instead, the cast is left to basically fend for themselves, with varying degrees of success. Pegg is fine, in a role that could've easily turned into an opportunity to overact. Azaria and Newton, however, seem to be pretty much phoning it in. The one man you will recognize from Shaun Of The Dead, Dylan Moran (as Dennis' best friend Gordon) provides probably more than 75% of the laughs in this film, and is the sole reason this movie is being recommended. I don't expect this movie will get great reviews, but what I do expect is large box office and Simon Pegg finally getting over the hump in America, to full blown stardom. Now go back to Mr. Wright, you crazy Brit!

No comments: