Sunday, March 16, 2008

#50 - Breakfast At Tiffany's*

Directed by Blake Edwards
1961 Romantic Comedy
Not Rated

*****

If someone asked me to pick my all-time favorite movie, I don't think I could do it. HOWEVER, if someone asked me to pick my top 3 favorite movies, I could. In no particular order; The Philadelphia Story, High Fidelity, and Breakfast At Tiffany's. Loosely based on Truman Capote's novella, it tells the story of Holly Golightly, a fast-talking New York girl, and Paul Varjak, a struggling author "kept" by a rich socialite. The film has everything you could want from a romantic comedy, plus more; brilliant acting (Hepburn's performance is easily one of the greatest of all time), fast writing, great music, and a love story for the ages. And while I won't say it's the best movie ever made (because it isn't), it certainly holds that title in the romantic comedy category.

No comments: